My Testnet experience

• Reward

Hello,

First of all, I really enjoy the campaigns you are doing - keep them coming! 🙂

The feedback for the Testnet is overwhelmingly positive. The first time I've tried VITE I was amazed how well everything worked on my first try.

Wallet:
    Both Web and the new Android Wallet are beautiful, had no problems with them whatsoever.
    At the beginning I was not aware that the accounts are only stored in the Local Storage, and never server-side. Would have appreciated a small infobox explaining that (because it's an awesome feature).
    The first campaign I participated in was the Twitter VCP challenge, which explained remarkably well how VITE works.

Node:
    Wow! This was what surprised me the most! - I participated on day 2 of the Full node campaign. And setting a up a full node up was by far easier than for other cryptocurrencies. Granted, the guide from snapsecure helped, but it was easy and it worked! Compared to IOTA, I struggled a day to get the initial sync done (and had use a database snapshot). For VITE, I waited 2 hours and everything was synced and ready to go. And it is really resource-friendly, running on some low-power hardware (Go seems to be the better choice here - compared with IOTAs IRI implementation in Java).
    After one unexpected poweroff of the server, I had problems getting in sync again (haven't tried it for long though, just wiped the database and started from the beginning again).
    Huge bonus points as well for the dashboards to monitor the nodes!

Migration:
    Have not yet tried the new integration in the wallet, but also the step-by-step list of the old guide worked perfectly.

Web:
    Not directly Testnet related, but I like the redesign of the website - everything VITE stands for is explained really well.

So, I really, really tried to provide some constructive criticism.. but I honestly can't think of anything that could be improved. If I do, I'll tell you 😉

Looking forward to the future - which, as I know you, will happen sooner than expected

• Reward

I'd like to add the following:

Web:

• Please make the address switching more prominent. This should not only be possible via the settings, but also directly in the account overview. (this was shamelessly stolen from @nik12 's thread).
    • Ask the community to provide translations for more languages. Non-native speakers are often more comfortable in their language, especially when there can be lots of (crypto)money at stake when misunderstanding something.

• Reward

Either our product is really awesome or we have the nicest fans. Not even a shred of criticism. 😄

• Reward

@Richard_Yan then you have not gone through all the write ups of experiences. I see people criticizing the fact that the wallets(web, android and PC) signs you out after a few minutes. Hope that can be sorted out though, apart from that, you fans are pretty cool and you have a cool product too.

• Reward

This post is deleted!

• Reward

@Vanderkum said in My Testnet experience:

@Richard_Yan then you have not gone through all the write ups of experiences. I see people criticizing the fact that the wallets(web, android and PC) signs you out after a few minutes. Hope that can be sorted out though, apart from that, you fans are pretty cool and you have a cool product too.

Haha gotcha, I guess a new criticism is a lack of being thorough on my part 🙂 My comment was meant for the above post by @luhe though

• Reward

It's not that I tried to be nice, I went through my usual checklist for projects (especially in an early stage), and there was nothing negative that could be found.

My usual complaints would be:

• Intransparent developement: Nope, not here, everything is on github and regularly updated. Code quality seems to be quite good as well.
    • One-man-project/Small contributor team: Nope, at least 9 people working on the core code. That's more than e.g. was the case at Nano at the same stage of the project
    • Whitepaper lacking any technical details: Not the slightest bit here! Containing lots of mathematical definitions, and looks well thought out. And written with LaTeX, what's a good sign as well.
    • No clear use-case. I think smart contracts and DAGs are the future, so there should be plenty of use cases..
    • Unusable node software. Getting the IOTA IRI node up running took a day, with lots of retries needed because I couldn't sync, which was (and still is) a common problem. Here all it took me was entering one command. Also, the resource consumption is exceptionally low (granted, this will increase when the TX volume grows, but again, when compared to projects at the same stage).
    • Unstable node software. Yeah, I had problems after an unexpected crash. At the time I didn't debug it any further, just started from scratch - so it could have been my fault as well. When this happens again, I'll have a closer look at it.

Nearly every other project I took a closer look at contained multiple issues from the short list above. Doesn't seem to be the case here.